Sunday, October 4, 2009

Week 3: Sept 15th, 2009

Hi Family!

I just adore receiving your letters.
It makes me so happy. It sounds like the family is really busy, as usual, but that everything is going well. I love hearing about your lives, so I'm going to be selfish and ask that you keep writing me, thanks! : )

So, Dad requested that I give everyone a little Russian lesson each letter.
I'll try and do that, except that I can't use the Russian alphabet on this keyboard - at least not that I know of - so it won't be totally accurate. This week we learned about cases, which is probably the biggest obstacle to the language. In Russian, there is no certain order to a sentence, you can say the words in any order you want. Like, instead of: We read the Book of Mormon together at Church, they could say together Book of Mormon read we at Church, or pretty much any other way you can rearrange those words. That is because, unlike English, most verbs, prepositions, and some parts of speech (lie Direct Object, Indirect Object) have the ending of their name changed according to the meaning of the sentence. We have a big chart of all the different endings for all the different possibilities. Like an inanimate male noun, a female adjective, blah blah blah. So, every word in the sentence is kind of conjugated, that way the meaning is already understood, so it doesn't matter where in the sentence the word goes. That probably doesn't make any sense.... But that's the best way I can explain it. Umm... so here is a sentence in Russian: Ya znao cto boug jeev and leoubet nas. That means I know God lives and loves us. Anyways, Russian is coming... it is going to be extremely hard and I'm sure I'll get frustrated but I'm actually surprised that it still makes sense... at least right now : )

Hmmm... well this week I started to feel more like a missionary.
The MTC has kind of felt lika n extended EFY of Youth Conference or something, but we had a workshop on goal setting this week and I think that has made me realize more that I'm a missionary. Like, our district sets goals together very wed. night , and then we pray to have HF's help with them. I really liked doing this because it really has helped our group grow together spiritually, like no movie quoting in class, and make 2 teaching appointments a week, etc. So, since we had the workshop, I've recognized the importance of personal goals too, so I've started setting some. Chris gave me some good advice in his letter about using the MTC time to set a pattern of living that will help you in the field. So, now that I have started setting personal goals, I feel like I'm evolving as a person and my mindset is a little different. Our teacher Brother Beck (we really do have the best techers) talked about doing a 40 Day Fast as a district to give up our biggest distraction as a missionary so we can have an added measure of the Spirit with us. So, we're going to do it. Actually, today is my first day of the fast (by the way Tues. are my pday). I'd tell you what I'm fasting from but it's kind of personal, maybe later : ) It helps to know that the Lord is with you and that you are accountable to Him. So, I really want to use my MTC time wisely so I can feel more prepared when I enter the field. Speaking of which, I only have 8 more weeks in the MTC, which probably sounds like a lot to you, but the last three have gone by so fast that I'm starting to recognize how quickly my mission is going to fly by!

Some items of business:
I love my family so much! (That's always number one item of business)
Two, I'm really sad to hear about Aunt Cathy : (
But it sounds like it was a really remarkable experience for their family. Please give them my love, especially Tash and Jen please : ) Also, I'd love to hear from them, maybe someone could forward my letters to them? (Bear or Mees?)
Three, I'd love to have Andrea and Hilary's email addresses too... or anyone else really!
Cassi, i thought about it, and although the blog idea always seemed kind of cheesy, I think it would be a good idea. I'd love it and it would make my writing letters less of an overwhelming task.
Four, Cassi and Kelly, I LOVED LOVED LOVED your package!
All the pictures made me cry... and the American flag was a nice touch, let me guess that was Kelly's idea?
Four, Mom, I ran out of time typing in everyon'es email address so if you could forward my letter to the family I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for all you do, you're so amazing.
Boys, congrats on the new pre-sells!!!
I can't wait to come home and see the HB housing empire in Cruces. You're so awesome and i love you tons!
Bear, get better!
Cami, loved your letter and the gossip!
Keep it up
BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment