Sunday, June 20, 2010

May 3rd

I'm in екатеринбург!! (Yekaterinburg)
Yes, I have arrived to my knew area called Botanika because it is full of parks and gardens. Really, my new area is so nice. It feels like a different country. Yekat is a bigger city, and we're in a nice part of the city, so everything seems rather nice. In fact, Russia now seems pretty nice to me in general. Maybe it was culture shock that made me think it was so gross at first, or maybe I'm just used to it now. But, anyways, I like it here and I think you would too! Really, when you mentioned picking me up here from my mission I got soo excited! I would love for you all to see it here. Mom, don't worry about any danger, I feel perfectly safe here, and you'll be with me, and I'm protected by the Lord, so we're all safe! I hope my Mission President would fly for that kind of a thing. I'd love for you to meet him too. Keep pondering over it!
Things are kind of crazy here right now. We went to Finland last Mon at 3 Am and got back to Chili on Tuesday at 5 AM. We were awake for more than 24 hours becasue we didn't ever have a long flight, just lots of little ones, so we never had time to sleep on the plane. We flew from Chili to Moscow, Moscow to Helsinki. So that makes 6 flights ina 26 hour time period. We got home and wanted to sleep, but we had to go pick-up people at the bus stop and reregister with the city, etc. I then left Chelyabinsk early Thursday morning and have since been here in Yekat. The Elders whose area we are taking over kind of left us a big mess. The aprtment is trashed, we're not even living there right now. When our Mission President saw the state of our apartment, he said we couldn't live there, but they needed to do a remodel. So, the remodel should end sometime next weekish and then we can actually live in our Area. Yay! It's hard to commute into your area everyday, especially becasue time is so precious. But, we've been contacting a lot on transport and getting lots of new contacts. Lots. My new companion is full of that greenie-fire. She is so motivated and amazing! Really, she has no fear, and by the time we get off the bus, the whole bus says goodbye to us pretty much, becasue she just makes friends with everyone and talks with eveyone. I really hope she never burns out, ever. And I hope she doesn't get jaded by the work either. I was discourged by how slowly things progressed when I first got here, but I hope that doesn't get her down. I love her fire and it motivates me too. We're definitely working hard and she is determined to baptize everyone. She is pretty much my amazing : ) I care for her a lot. She's only about 4'11 and is from Hawaii actually, but her family lives in Idaho now. She does those Anasazi hikes out in the desert with troubled youth for her living, and is a real wilderness girl. Very hard core. We go running in the morning and she pretty much sprints the whole time haha. She is 24. I'll try and send you a picture soon...
We have Zone Conference tomorrow with our Area President, President Paal and his wife. I have been asked by our Mission President to give a small success story talk, and I'm doing a musical number. Chelyabinsk missionaries will be coming in for this too and so my old and new zone will be together. I am so excited to see everyone and to be uplifted spiritually. This also means that it will be another unusual day. I wish we could just have a normal working day in the field. I don't know any of our investigators yet! I'm starting to stress and I wish I could just know my area, the people, and the city. But, I guess that is the big task at hand right now.
Oh my gosh, I am so glad my family is good at showing a sense of humor through letters. I too cried when I read about the Ken doll comparison. Were the flip-flops as good as the Eyore slippers you got for Christmas? Sounds like Hawaii was a blast. Sounds like real life has kicked back in with 31 interviews (wow!) and lots of tasks for Mom too. Enjoy it all! Pictures anyone?
Cassi and Kelly, must say that Daphne was a surprise, but I've said the name over a couple times in my head and you're right, it is really cute and it totally fits. YOU HAVE A BABY BUMP! Yes, the picture worked. And, just so you know, you're bump is very tiny. Just to ease any of your worries, my Zone Leader sitting next to me saw your picture and was like, "that's not a baby bump! I'll show you a baby bump." And then he showed me a picture of his very pregnant sister. So, no need to worry. You're figure will endure and nothing is more beautiful than the glow of motherhood. Thanks for the letter. And, you're moving to Georgia! Does that ever flash through your mind and you have a momentarily freak-out? Yeah, that still happens to me here in Russia. What I'm in Russia?!
Carrie, congrats on being an MSW! You're my hero. You really did it. I hope the job pans out for you there in Las Cruces. How is it having Meesa at home with you? I hope you don't forget to say bird still when you chant "bears and pigs and bears and BIRDS" etc. I'm there in heart.
Meesa, what are your plans for this summer? Do you know where you'll be working yet?
Chris, thanks you so much for your letter. I could totally relate to your story of riding the bus to your new area. I felt the exact same way. My heart kind of sank when the bus stopped. It's hard about the mission that you continually start over, new places and callings, etc. But I guess that is what makes you grow. Sounds like the kids are just adorable! Really, I am really sad I haven't been able to see them yet. All in good time!
Love you all,
Sister Hakes
P.S. I almost forgot! I get to call you for Mother's Day! I'll call you your Sunday night (mother's Day evening). I wish I had thought of this sooner and could have planned a time and details, etc. I hope that works for you all and so I'll probably just call Mom or Dad's cell phone. Somewhere between 6 PM and 9 PM I will give you a ring. Talk to you soon! Hope that'll work out : )

No comments:

Post a Comment