Sunday, June 20, 2010

May 24th

ello to my dearest family,
Well, last week in Ekat was amazing! Especially yesterday. I think after all of the adjustments I've had to make lately, I'm starting to finally feel back in the swing of things. When I talked to you all at Mother's Day, I think I was going through maybe one of my toughest times on my mission. So, if you felt worried about me afterwards, please don't. For whatever reason, I had a lot of uncomfortable things happening at the same time. But, all is well and the work is definitely progressing!
Yesterday, Sunday, was a miraculous day, really. We had our Stake Conference here in Ekat and all of the members came. Well, all of the active ones. I would say that there were maybe 120 people there, which is about the typical if not smaller ward size in the US. For me though, it was so amazing to see all the members gathered together. I felt an overwhelming sense of love for the people, and how it is so so so so important to serve the people where you live. I made a committment to go home after my mission and continue to be a servant of the Lord. You don't have to have a nametag on to be a missionary. I think before my mission, I always wondered what I could do to serve other people, like I didn't really know where to start beyond Visiting Teaching. Lately I've just realized that you really do effect people's lives so much more than you can known through just very small and simple acts of service. Really. Like, if you have an extra hour with nothing to do, making cookies for a less-active or neighbor or someone can lift the other person. So simple, but so powerful. Our Mission President got up and spoke at Conference, and was super bold with the members. He pretty much said what a lot of us missionaries have been feeling, which is that the members need to start stepping it up here in Russia. He said that while there were a lot of people at the meeting yesterday, there are probably 5 or 6 times as many members who weren't there, that could be there if they felt the support and love of the members. He committed every person there to think of one person they know that they can reach out to (just like President Monson always encourages us to do), and he also encouraged every member to prayerfully select one thing that they can give to the Lord, one small sacrifice or sin that we perpetually hold on to. I want to be the kind of member when I go home, that the missionaries can feel they can call and ask to come on lessons with them, or that you are willing to pick someone up for Church for them on Sunday. Those little things make such a huge difference in the missionary work. President Uchtdorf, when he went to Moscow last year, told the members that there will be a temple built in Moscow. So, that promise has already been given. However, our Mission President talked about how soon the Temple will be built is dependant upon the members. The Lord is waiting to bless his people, we just need to be worthy and ready for the blessings he is wanting to grant. My point in telling you all this, is htat the work needing to be done in the Church is the same here in Russia as it is in Las Cruces, Carlsbad, Georgia, Burelson, etc. I know you are all great, solid members of the Church, and I am glad those cities have you there to serve the people. You are all such great examples, and I don't think I fully appreciated all of my family's service until I came out here to Russia. Thanks.
Also, yesterday, we found a new girl that is interested in the Church, named Natalia. We met a different girl named Natalia on the street Saturday, and told her we'd love to drop-by and give her a Book of Mormon, she agreed and gave us her address. Anyways, we finally find her house (we had to go over a litle man made bridge across the river-- so beautiful, looked like Hawaii my comp said) and it turns out she doesn't even live there, but a different Natalia does, weird or what?! She says she loves to read and was really happy to get the book (we had written our testimony on the inside to Natalia so it worked out perfect). Anyways, we will be going with her to Church next Sunday, she said we can pick her up. Also, we ran into a really sweet babooshka and decided to drop by her house, and we were able to teach her, her daughter and her son-in-law. Her son-in-law is amazing and has a great light. He is religious on his own, but doesn't go to the Russian Orthodox Church. When we prayed at the close of our very spiritual lesson, he just kept his eyes closed once the prayer ended and you could tell he really was praying to God and pondering our message. Problem is, his wife is a little hardened. She doesn't really want us to come back, but the babooshka and husband do, so we'll figure some way to get back in there.... My companion and I working really well together now. We have a very strong feeling that we will see a lot of success together. Not sure why, but we both sense something special in our area is about to happen. In fact, the whole mission is talking about how everyone feels like the work here is about to explode. Like, we're right on the edge of the work finally taking off here in Russia. So, we're all trying to crack down, and really give all we have to the Lord, so we will be wothy of any task he asks us to perform. We all feel kind of like soldiers before the big battle. Our MIssion President believes that once the work takes off here, Russia will be like the new Brazil of our day. We'll see! I really just feel grateful to be a part of it. Like, I am really meant to be here doing this thing. I'm not sure why, but I just feel inside of me that it is right that I am here right now. The Lord needs me here for whatever reason. And I feel really grateful to be here.
Anyways, this week we were also asked if we were Nazi's, if we were in some sort of trance (becasue we were smiling too much), and a devout Russian Orthodox babooshka casted the devil out of us. Haha it was really fun. I also got hugged by a grandpa, and proposed to three times. Ooops! Russia is full of life in the summer and it is just gorgeous. So green. It's like a completely different place. I can't believe it used to be just covered in snow, it seems so tropical now.
Anyways, that is so cool about Todd Horton. Let me know how that goes. Oh, and I've asked for Victoria's address like 4 times now, does anybody have that?? HAPPY ANIVERSARY Mom and Dad!!! 35 years of comedy, joy, disaster, service, babies, love, and each other. Way to be : ) You look great in your picture! Meesa and Colin, congrats on the 1 year mark! Your dates sounded so fun. You'll find a job soon, don't stress about it. Who wouldn't want to hire you? Think about it that way and you'll get the job you want. Is there an Olive Garden in Cruces now? Huh..... And Bear, don't stay sick long! Tinkles the tea cup will be lonely without you! (Thanks for the heads up on your new inside jokes, oh how I miss you). CAssi and Kelly, I hope you make it safe to Georgia, too bad Kelly didn't take his self-defense class before you set out on your trip haha.. That is so cool you'll be in Macom, like to kill a mockingbird! The Ward is so lucky to have you there. Send me a picture of your house! Cami, I can just picture Lucas looking all content on a tractor, haha that just cracks me up. Way to raise the Future Farmers of America : ) And, you are my hero for doing a triathalon! So hard core. We should do something like that together when I come home. Best of luck to everyone else!
P.S. I had a weird dream about Tasha last night haha, really funny. Say hi to her for me!
Love,
Sister Hakes
Bird
птица (bird)
кошечка (little kittie)

No comments:

Post a Comment