Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hi Family!
Today the SUN is out! I wasn't expecting it. Yes, it definitely has felt warmer this week, and yes, I even saw snow MELTING! It was a real treat for me Dad, but I think you might have enjoyed it even more : ) Last week was still "chilly" here in Chili (thought I'd get that joke in one more time) becasue of high winds. It reminded me of Cruces in the spring, though not as hard core. No complaints here though. I didn't wear my big, brown, furry coat all week, so I am very happy!
I found out yesterday that we'll be having Zone Conference this Wednesday. So, not much time to prepare, but I'm super excited! I love our Zone Conferences and being able to talk with my Mission President. It's also good to just see the other missionaries together and be reminded of why we're all out here. We also found out that President Perry will be coming here in June for a Mission Conference along with Elder Rasband of the Seventy and President Powell who is over the missions in our area. Ahh! I can't wait.
We had a really interesting experience this past week. That guy Dima we found on the street was able to meet with us as planned. He also said he was going to bring a friend on the meeting with us. My companions and I tried really hard to find a girl to come on the meeting with us, but there aren't many to choose from and we had exhausted all of our resources. By the time the mtg came around, we decided to just drop by, give him a Liahona and tell him that we couldn't stay for the meeting without a girl, especially becasue we weren't sure if this guy was a little shady or not. Anyways, we go to his aprtment and his building is really nice and new, which is rare. When we get to his door, we see that he is a very nice, not sleazy guy, and his friend that he brought was married and his wife was also there. All were very nice looking and we were happily surprised we didn't have to cancel. We sit down and started to ask questions to get to know each other, but they immediately jumped into questions. They are all Seventh-day Adventists and they knew exactly the questions they wanted to ask. Why don't we celebrate the Sabbath on Saturday? Why do we have more revelation if the book of Revelation said there wouldn't be any more revealed scripture beyond the Bible? Why don't we use wine in our sacrament service? Etc. So, I didn't realize it until the end of our meeting, but my heart was pounding the whole time and I was feeling very nervous. I kept trying to bring things back and to really teach, not just Bible bash, but they weren't really listening. They were very good people, but I don't understand why people would take the time just to argue. They didn't want to talk about their faith, just tear ours down. It wasn't a horrible meeting, but it wasn't a Spiritual-make you cry-I want to be converted meeting either. I just don't get the point of meeting to just argue, and we tried to bring the Spirit, but it didn't happen. They all came to Church on Sunday though, and the same thing happened in the Gospel Principles class. The teacher is an awesome babyshka named Cveta. She's a convert of 19 years and I love having here teach the class. Anyways, they did the same thing with her, and I know it frustrated her too. They asked the same questions they asked us, as if we had never even explained anything to them. So, it became clear that they don't want to listen. As they left Church, they invited us to their service on Saturday. Umm... pretty sure that won't happen. I think it would be cool to go and see their service, but not as a missionary. That would be weird and there are better ways to spend our time. All in all, it was a really interesting experience to me. They did listen somewhat I suppose, but it is so sad to me that people can let little things, the letter of the law things, be such a "stumbling block" to them. I am so gratedul we have the restored truth, really. It would be such a pain to follow all of the little oddities of the Bible, like wearing your scriptures on your forehead kind of a thing. I respect the people of other religions that follow these things, becasue it really shows their dedication to the Lord, but at the same time, their missing the mark. It's sad becasue they are very good people and they study the Bible diligently. I kept trying to get them to understand, that if Joseph Smith was a prophet, then the way in which we worship in our Church today is the way God wants us to. Because of a modern prophet, we don't have to worry about misinterpretating the Bible. I personaly don't want to wear the scriptures on my forehead, of course I would if that is what I really thought God wanted me to do, but I don't have to worry about any of that becasue we have a prphet on the Earth today that teaches us the will of the Father. Cool huh? I don't think I ever appreciated some things about the Church as much until now, on my mission. It's really true, all of it. Cool!
Anyways, love you all! That is my highlight from the week. Tghanks for all of your highlights. Mom, thanks for the talk on Motherhood, and for telling me to not worry so much. You're right, it is nice to hear that every now and then. I'll check into that package, and I got the one this week with the Valentine's candy in it. You're the best! Reece's has never tasted so good! Bear, I'll pray for you this week with all of your oral exams, yikes! Sounds like you're extremely busy, good luck. Chris, you're 30!!!!! Happy Bday. Hope it was a good one and that you ate lots of cake and ice cream. Sad I missed the Bluths at home, sounds like it was fun as usual. Cassi, I don't think you're hips could ever look big. And, I'm still waiting for preganancy pictures! Mees, I still can't believe you're moving home. Now I don't know where I'm going to go after my mission. I could room with some comps, but I just assumed you'd be there with me too.... This is best for you though. Melissa Robin thanks so much for writing! I hope the kids get better soon and that you and Josh stay healthy! Kimball, I hope Moab was as fun as it sounds. Joe and Katie, enjoy those thunderstorms! I miss them. Dad, you're weekly highlights are the highlight of my week. Thanks for doing that. Hope you're staying sane with your busy schedule.
Love you all, again!
Sister Hakes

1 comment: