Sunday, March 14, 2010

FINLAND! Letter from February 8th, 2010

Happy Monday Morning Family!

I am writing you from the Finland Temple hostel, which is where we have been staying since Friday afternoon when we arrived. So, yes, that means I am still in Finland! We were supposed to originally leave Sunday, then we got a call saying our Visas wouldnät activate until Monday, then we got another call saying they wouldnät activate until Tuesday... so we will be in Finland until tomorrow (Tues) evening. I probably wonät be in Chili again until Wed. night, crazy! Iäm (the keyboard is part finnish and it wonät let me do apostrapheäs just this= ä ) getting anxious to get back to work, but in all honesty, my time here in Finland has been such a blessing. I donät really know what to say except that Finland is AMAZING! When we got on the airplane from Saint Petersburg to Helsinki, the change was already apparent. The people on the airplane were smiling and happy, I hadnät realized how much I missed that! The Russian people are very different. I donät know how to describe it. I feel they are very closed and hesitant to trust other people, so they never smile or make small talk with people on buses, etc. I didnät realize how adjusted I had become to that culture until the Finnish people were smiling and laughing and it made me feel so good, and I remembered how much I miss that! It made me want to be a happy person in Russia, and not to embrace that aspect of their culture. I understand why the Russian people are the way they are, they have a tough history, and it makes me feel sad for them. So, I need to smile at them and try and make them more happy if that makes any sense, so I want to do that from now on. Anyways, Finland really is an amazing place. The people here all speak English, they all are very fashionable and freindly, every building is beautiful, everything works, I feel like I äm in a five star hotel, the food is healthy and clean, and the Ward here is AMAZING!! Really, I kind of feel bad writing this becasue I have never written anything like this about Russia. I love Russia though, itäs just different. The lifestyle there I am coming to realize is very bare and cold in a lot of ways, and then in other ways, once you know someone, they would do anything for you. Being here in Finland though has made me realize how much Russia needs the Gospel though, how much Russia really needs the missionaries, how much Russia really needs me even. Itäs kind of a sad place, and I know the Gospel is exactly what it needs. The Church is such a baby in Russia. I figured that outside the U.S. the Church was small everywhere, but here in Finland it is so strong! Seeing how strong the members are here made me realize that it WILL be like this in Russia someday too. Russia just needs time. I was just so amazed at Church yesterday, the building was new and clean, the people wore shirts and ties, the Relief Society had activities planned, the testimony meeting was so spiritual, etc. The Church was established here in Finland in 1947, Russia has only had the Gospel since 1991 really, or when the Berlin wall fell, and my mission has only been opened since 1998 I think. Anyways, it was good to be here in Finland! It has been so good to see that the Church is true, wherever you are! And, that there are faithful Saints all over the world. I also felt really certain that Russia will someday be like Finland, and then someday like the U.S., but it takes time. So, I need to not get too frustrated when things donät seem to be functioning like they should at Church, but to be patient and to recognize how much the members in Russia really are pioneers for their country.

Anyways, we got to go to the Temple half day Friday and all day Saturday! So cool! Iäve never had the opportunity to just be in the Temple all day before. It was so spiritually uplifting, I canät even describe it. It made me really want all the people in Russia to go to the Temple, and to have a temple of their own someday. The rumor is that Moscow is on track to get a temple first, becasue that is where the Church is the strongest. However, it needs two stakes to be ready for a temple. Right now there is one, and it was almost ready for two, but they redivided Moscow into two different Missions (East and West), so now they donät have enough members for two stakes. Hopefully soon though. The Russian people travel all the way to Finland or Germany to go to the temple, and the Finnish people say that Russians make up a large majority of the people who come to the Temple. It is soo costly for them to make the long trek to Finland, but they are so dedicated that they make whatever sacrifices they need to get here. Really, the Russian members have to be so strong, its unreal. I feel I have a whole new perspective on the Gospel in Russia since I came here to Finland.

I am also with Sister Rogers and Sister Valgardson right now too, my MTC Companions! Woohoo! It felt like a mini-homecoming when we saw eachother. It is such a blessing to have them in my life, really we have such an amazing bond. And, we get to see eachother every three months on my mission haha. I feel kind of spoiled! Weäve talked a lot and realized that we have gone through a lot of the same experiences. Itäs nice to have people that understand and can relate. So, our time here together has been so amazing and uplifting. I was afraid I would feel distracted from the work, but really, i just feel more fired up to get to work and preach the Gospel when I get back to Chili.

So, in case you canät tell, I am really happy right now! Finland is my new favorite place on earth haha... Today, we have 18 other missionaries coming in from Yekat to renew their visas, including our mission president. There wasnt supposed to be that many of us, but there always seems to be some mix up on visa trips. So, about half of our entire mission will be in finland today and tomorrow. I feel bad that all of these missionaries arenät out in the field doing the work! It is amazing that the Lord wants missionaries in Russia, despite all of the craziness. The people there are that important to him. So, I need to make every moment I have there worth it. The Church is spending a lot of money and time on us Russia missionaries, so I need to give it my all (of course)!

I donät have any stories from missionary work this week, because I havenät done any missionary work this week. I am itching to get back in there though, and to get this crazy third transfer started. I feel more at peace with being the Senior companion, and now I just want to get things started. Love you all!

Sister Hakes

Grandpa- Thanks Grandpa for your email this week. You are so nice to write, and I really appreciate your words of support. You are such a great example to me and I tell your story of how you and Grandma quit drinking and smoking a lot here in the field. Thanks so much for your example.
Dad- Sounds like your calling is keeping you as busy as possible! Thanks so much for your weekly Hakes Headlines. I can just picture you typing them up at home. I really appreciate them. Just remember to take advantage of your time as the Hakes tennis champ, because that will all change in a year when I am home...
Mom- YEs! I got the package from the Ward when I was in yekat last week! Tell them tank you SO MUCH from me. Really, everything was so nice and thoughtful and I felt so lucky! Dad told me how my room is now covered in decorations for hakes Brothers... haha the madness of it all! I am kind of glad I donät have to witness it all first hand. You are so awesome, and I am sure the model will be gorgeous, as usual! You are so talented and HB is lucky! Oh, I got your two DearElder letters in Yekat too. You are so faithful in writing, I am so lucky. And, no, your journal entries are awesome, not boring at all. Keep em coming. Love you tons.
Kimball- Larengitis for two weeks! And I bet you didnät even take one sick day from work... You are so awesome. Take care of yourself though too. My MTC companions need someone to date when they come home! Haha. Good luck with all the house plans, I canät believe HB is wanting 15 sales for Feb and March. Things just must be exploding!
Joe-Katie- I canät believe you are goingt o have three kids when I come home, already! You guys are such a super family. Hang in there Joe, I bet youäre so stressed with work, Katie too. Say hi to the kiddos for me
Chris-Francisca- Francisca I am so glad to hear you are doing better! Thanks so much for your letters, really you are so awesome to write! Thanks for your experiences, and I am so glad you can relate to what I am doing here in Russia, and how intimidated I feel with my next transfer. I loved the red and pink email for Valentines day, haha so cute!Chris, thanks for your letter last week or the week before. Dad says it is the most amazing sight to see you prop one twin on each knee and bottle feed them. You are seriously superhuman haha... Thanks for your great example!
Cami-Marcus- Cami, your kids are cuter and cuter! I canät believe how big Lucas is looking. He looks so much like Marcus. What a proud Mom and dad. Thanks for the update from your blog, looks like you all had a fun time in Cloudcroft together. You are so pretty, just thought Iäd say that. I canät believe youäve had four kids, you look so great!
Josh-Melissa- Hailey is turning three!! Oh my gosh time flies. She is going to be breaking hearts before you know it! Josh, I love your emails. You are so sweet and I am sure you are doing an awesome job as EQ President... Kimball says so in his letters. I am glad you are loving work and family. You and Melissa are such great parents.
Bear- I got your package too! You are so sweet! You are so thoughtful to send me something, really, I loved it. And, the Reeces were so much appreciated. Russia doesnät have ANY peanut butter at all, so any candy with peanut butter is nonexistent. Way to be Bear! Your Bird was so happy.
Cassi-Kelly- Kelly, thank you so much for your letter last week. I can totally relate to your stories from your mission. Cassi, I hear the morning sickness is still going strong for you! I hope it eases up soon. Do you have a belly yet_ I canät imagine you with a belly haha... I need pictures!
Meesa- Congrats on moving up a chair in orchestra! You kind of make me sick at how talented you are haha. Way to conquer it. Thanks for your letter about apartment finding last week. Haha I loved it! Everything you said was so true, and yes, everything is scarier when youäre in an unfamiliar place! I am so glad Jen is coming to live with you. You are so lucky to have eachother, esp. right now. best of luck with your concert, and I am so glad Mom will getr to be there for it.
Megan McCutcheon- Megan! I got your DearElder last week when I was in Yekat. You are so nice and dont worry, you will always be the most importnant Megan in my life. And, yes, you can tell Michael that I have used the Priesthood already haha. You have absolutely no reason to worry about being a nurse, you will kill it! And, I canät imagine someone who wouldnt want you to be their nurse. You are so good at taking care of people. Speaking of which, I dont know what I want in a package! Haha... and your eally dont need to, sorry had to say it! haha, if you do want to though, you can send it to the mission home address i hjave on facebook. Donät use pouch and pretty much any sort of box-envelope works. You are so sweet and dont feel obligated to send anything
Cody Sowards- Thanks so much for the blog updates and for your little emails of support. You are so thoughtful to do that, seriously. Your family is so adorable and I am so glad everything is going well for you all. Say hi for me!
Sean Escalante- Oh my gosh, thank you so much for your letter! Haha, it was so funny with the story about that lady in Florida. You really were the luckiest Elder in your mission! Itäs so true too, sometimes you think youre going through something really hard, and then you can look back and laugh and see how everything is ok. Thanks!


Oh, happy valentines day to all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment