Sunday, March 14, 2010

Letter from 2/22/10

i Family!

I am writing you from a new internet cafe today! One of the Elders in our Zone found this AMAZING store, like a big store with a parking lot! Anyways, there are rows of check-out lines like Wal-Mart and even an electronics section, etc. It's amazing! I feel like I'm in America again, or even Finland! Ok, well, that really made my day, so I thought I'd pass that on to you. So, yes, today is a rather chilli day in "Chili". We woke up and it said -35 C, which was such a surprise because all last week it was only like -9... so we both put on our big furry coats again. I must say, I'm not a fan of my big furry coat, but it is so warm that I feel grateful to have it. Just in case any of you have wondered why my coat is so ugly : ), there wasn't a lot of time and it was cheap... pretty much what you'd expect for a missionary! Anyways, it is so warm. Russians do know how to stay warm. Ok, Mom, I've been wanting to write this to our family for a while now, but I keep forgetting becasue of everything else I want to write. Anyways, yes, Chelyabinsk is thekind of a radioactive city. I heard all sorts of stories in the MTC and since I've been here that you're hair falls out here and that all sorts of scary growths can start growing on your body....... yeah for me! HAha but no, I haven't had any of those problems. I think they're just rumors, but there are a lot of Babyshka with strange growths... so maybe it is true? Haha I think Josh knows what I'm talking about? But yeah, to answer your question, I guess it is some sort of nuclear waste place or something. I don't know for sure, it's kind of hard to ask the locals and be like, "Did you know your city is radioactive???" So, I don't usually steer the conversation that way. It is really polluted though, I can tell you that. I don't know what else to say though, it's just Chili and I love it. It's my Russian home : )

So, this week has been amazing. I've just been able to really FEEL like a missionary lately. I'm not sure what the difference has been exactly, but I've just really realized how important your companion is. We are just both very committed to the work, and we feel the Spirit very strong in our Companionship when we teach. Teaching has been so good too. I was SO worried about how I was going to be able to teach these people in Russian this transfer, but my companion and I were talking just this morning about how we have both felt so surprised about how that worry has never been manifest. Like, I don't know how it happens. All I know is that when I go into an appointment, I'm usually kind of scared becasue I can only do small talk in Russian for so long, but then, the worries go away. I realize that I'm talking to these people and actually talking to them in Russian! It's the weirdest feeling, like, did that conversation just happen? I honestly don't understand everything they're saying AT ALL, but somehow we also understand what they're talking about JUST enough to know how to respond, and even crazier, we always seem to know what we need to teach them. We have had some very spiritual lessons where I feel like we were able to find the needs of the people we're teaching, and then to address them and commit them to change. I have the biggest testimony now that the Lord really is with His missionaries. It's not like I've heard a voice or felt really strong promptings in our meetings or anything amazing like that, but we don't need that. I feel like when we prepare and study in the mornings and be obediant throughout our day, the Spirit is just with us and all we have to do is open our mouths. It's really cool. I feel kind of ashamed now that I was so worried about this transfer. I really didn't trust the Lord enough. I think sometimes in life I sell myself short, like I don't trust that I am capable of doing certain things. So, so far this transfer, I've learned that I should trust the Lord more. I guess that's a good thing to learn on a mission, right? : )

We found two new investigators again this week : ) One seems very interested, his name is Lev. We taught him the First lesson and he was SO excited about the gospel. Our Elders have a joke though becasue we keep getting male new investigators : ) I think they're worried about the Sisters a little haha... We got two phone calls last week from two different guys we had contacted on transport, and I think they were both drunk, but one confessed his love for us! Haha, so now it's kind of become a joke to see how many new male investigators the Sisters can contact. No worries though about safety though or anything. We're ALWAYS on busy busy streets, and I've never felt not safe. And no, we don't meet with any male investigators without sometone with us. So no worries Mom! The other is a young Muslim girl. She is a Former investigator, and I am not sure how interested she is, but she at least agreed to meet with us again, so we're going to try, but her heart seems pretty set on her other faith. Our less-actives are progressing, and the less-active family we reactivated is doing well. The Dad committed on Saturday to prepare to receive the Priesthood by the end of this month. He is the one we are most worried about, but he is still trying. The Mom gave an amazing talk on Sunday too about the Word of Wisdom, which is what her husband struggles with, so she feels the talk was to help her understand her husband better. She wants him to be so converted, that I'm afraid she'll just push him away. So, she recognized with her talk that she needs to support him better and show love first. They are great : )

Anyways, that's all I have time for. Best of luck with everything to all of you! Love you tons and hope you have a good week :) Cami, thanks for the letter about the Russian girl you met in Carlsbad, I can totally relate to her. And yes, Russians say everything very strong like she said. It kind of makes them seem scarier or like they're upset, but it's just the way they talk! Oh, and I realized why Russians don't smile on the street! It's because you're teeth freeze! I've been trying to smile more like I said, but my teeth really do freeze, like when you eat too much ice creamall at once. Haha, just my theory anyways...

Mees, good luck with your concert! I hope all you girls have fun in Provo together! Mom, congrats on finishing the Model, I bet you're exhausted! Joe!!! You finished! Way to be. You're a stud. I hope you guys enjoyed your little break/vacation, and best of luck with everything. It was so good to hear from you. Cassi, you need to send me a picture of your new house! Colin, I loved your letter. You're such a great guy and I only hear the best things about how you're doing. You keep my faith alive : )

Love you all!

Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment