Sunday, December 13, 2009

Week 4: It's Getting COLD!


Prevyet!
(Hello in the casual sense)

Greetings Family from Chelyabinsk, Russia! It's December already; I can't believe it. Time really has flown here. I feel like I have been here forever in some ways because my world has changed so much, but in another way I can't believe all those changes have happened in only a four week time span, crazy! I know I wrote last week and said that it honestly hasn't felt that cold yet, but I've been eating those words all week. Saturday and Sunday were when it definitely was cold. I had been feeling all week like it was just a little chillier than usual, then Saturday, it started snowing pretty good, and then the wind started blowing, and by the end of the day, I thought to myself, "This is more like it." Sunday was another extension of that, and I think it has consistently been around -7 or -11 since Saturday. Today (Monday), I finally learned my lesson, and put on those REI winter thermals we bought online (Mom), and it's amazing! I really don't feel cold on my body, just on the portion of my face that is exposed. It's definitely a new experience walking so bundled-up, but not bad. It's still not "cold" here yet, but I think I can handle another 10 or 15 degrees and still feel warm. In a wierd way, I kind of like the extremity of it all. I mean, if you're gonna come on a mission, you might as well freeze a little and have the real deal, right?

Saturday was a really cool night (literally and figuratively : ] ). Francisca emailed me last week and talked to me about how she wished someone would have visited her Dad when he was less-active, but no one ever came. Maybe if someone had, she said, things might have worked out differently for her family. Thanks so much for that story Francisca! It really helped put my mind and heart where it needed to be. Anyways, my companion and I went through our Area Book with this in mind and found two-less actives that agreed to meet with us. So, Saturday night we went and met with both of them. The first is a girl about 26 who has a baby, no husband. Her grandma was an member, and she and her two brothers were baptized, but none of them really ever went to Church. She remembers nothing about the Gospel, just the hymns that we used to sing. So, next time we visit, I'm going to bring my violin and play some hymns for her. We taught her the Plan of Salvation too, and it was like teaching a new investigator. She had no recollection of any of it. Her baby got fussy, and so we said we'd finish the lesson next time we came, but she insisted we finished everything because it was really interesting to her. We're meeting with her on Wed. We also met with a Babooshka who admitted she'd stopped coming to Church becasue of work on Sundays, but she wants to start coming again. She came this Sunday! We're meeting with her again this week too.

It is really cool to feel like you're doing the Lord's work. Like, if He were here, He would be doing the same sort of things. I've been trying to keep this in mind because, sometimes it feels like the work I'm doing is so small and simple compared to what I thought I would be doing as a missionary. But really, the Lord cares for every person, every lost sheep. So, I should care too. There is no visit too menial, and no act of kindness too small if it helps someone out. It's all about love. I don't feel like I really have caught the whole Spirit of this thing as much as I eventually want to, but for some reason, being in the cold and walking a long time in the snow made me feel better. Like, at least I was showing how much I care by sacrificing my warmth to go visit someone. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else... But it makes sense to me! I'm really trying to get in the spirit of it all, and what a better time than Christmas!

In Russia, people don't celebrate Christmas until January 7th. So, December 25th here isn't really a big deal to anyone except the members in the Branches here celebrate it a little. The big holiday here is New Year and New Years Eve. It's basically their Christmas because Jan. 7th isn't that big of a deal either. Anywyas, Dad (and Tasha), the whole of Russia celebrates the end of your Birthday! Haha... : ) Our Mission President said we're not allowed to be outside AT ALL on New Years becasue it's dangerous with all the drinking and partying. Last year they were shut in for three days. I'm not sure what the plan is for us this year. Anyways, I will be calling home on December 25th! I don't know what the family's schedule is, or who is going to Las Cruces for Christmas, but when would be a good time to call? Let me know next week (Mon), and then I can try and confirm it with you when I email, so it won't be like last time when I called from the airport : ) I'm 12 hours ahead here, and I'm not sure when I'll be free, but give me some times that would best work for the fam, and I'll see when I'll be available. We actually have our first transfer the week of Christmas, so I don't know where I'll be. If I stay in Chelyabinsk, then I'll be at the Mission home for Christmas, and if I don't stay in Chelyabinsk, then I'll be somewhere else obviously. So, either way I won't be in Chelyabinsk for Christmas.

So, I feel like I haven't asked any questions about the fam in a while, sorry! I feel like my I've had so much I wanted to say in my last couple of emails. Anyways, Dad! You're not Bishop anymore. I know you will be so missed. Is that weird getting adjusted? Who is the new Bishopric? That's sad news about Victoria, maybe someone could get me her email? You bought a 4 wheeler! Haha I'm kind of surprised, but not really : ) Way to be Mom! Does this one work and everything? Haha... Katie, Mom told me the story about the "poopie" morning you had with the kids. Oh so sorry! Haha. Thanks to all my sister-in-laws and Cami for being such great examples of Motherhood. Really, I can't thank you enough, and I wait to join you! : ) How is Dallas? Does it get cold there in the Winter? How is Doctor Joe? Cassi and Kelly, you guys when do you move exactly? Do you think Greycoat will be able to handle the trip? Haha I miss the coat! Miss you guys too, and thanks for doing the blog again : ) Chris and Francisca, the cupcakes look adorable! And you bought a new car, how fun! I can't believe you have three kids! I always seem to forget haha. I love your emails Francisca and am so glad you can relate to my experiences : ) Josh and Melissa, it looks like Troy is a very big baby! Those pictures of him after surgery were so cute, I hope he wasn't in too much pain. He's a Hakes/Kohler though, so he can handle it. Say hi to Hailey and Harmon for me! Cami and Marcus, I hear you got lots of snow! I can just picture the boys going crazy in it... Haha probably too crazy, right Cami? : ) I also hear Cora is the cutest, fattest listtle girl. Why are all Hakes girls fat babies? Take care of yourselves in Cbad : ) Kimball, I'll think about the Russian girl prospect for you haha... Not a bad idea really if they spoke English. Minor problem. Really though, I always keep you mind! Thanks for your email this week, I really want to start finding by the Spirit and "interwining" it like you mentioned. I can't really right now, as much as I try, my companion just really doesn't believe in finding/tracting at all, but I needed to hear your stories to keep the faith alive. Hang in there, you're the best and you'll get the best : ) Oh, boys! I can't believe you might be in Builder Magazine -- even around 150! Ahh so sweet! Good old HB! How is the business doing these days? Did you make the Obama deadline end of November? I actually thought about that deadline becauae when it turned to December, I thought there was something important/stressful happening, and then I remembered... Haha look what you did to me? Loved every minute of it. Mees, good luck with all of your concerts I hear your having at the Y. Hang in there! I'm sure Finals are really tough, but soon it'll be over, and you can look back and see all that you accomplished. And you'll be home for Christmas! I bet you're excited. And I'm sure the Bear is excited too... Bear, you're almost done with Hagrid, right? Sounds like you're semester has been extreme, so I expect to get an email back with all of your ventings... nothing spared! I'd love to hear about it. My hinks need to eat lots of cinnamon rolls for me! Thank you. Mom, I can just picture you putting the Christmas tree up and making the house look AMAZING as usual. Please hang up that ugly little Drummer boy that you hate, but I love. It's my favorite. You're the best, really. I never know what else to say. Simply the best. Dad too. Love you all tons!

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Enjoy the LC snow! And I hope you enjoy the Chritsmas season, and survive the finals/etc. until you can enjoy your Christmas break! I'll talk to you next week and keep you in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment