Sunday, December 6, 2009

Week 2 in Russia=Happy Thanksgiving!

Family!!

Week 2 has come and gone! Well, it has been a week and a half since my last letter. They let us have Thursday, today, as Pday to celebrate Thanksgiving (Dien Blagodavenya). So much has happened! I'll do my best to try and update you in the short time I have. I received about 25 letters from the family. You have NO idea how that helps me. Thanks so much for your support, advice, and familiar expereinces it sounds like you've all hear (mission or not). I love you so much! That's probably my biggest problem out here, is that I love my family and home too much : ( Promise me you'll remember in 15 months! (Today is my three month mark.)

Ok, so the work here, first and foremost. Our goal as a mission right now is to have 20 lessons a week, which is a decent stretch for most companionships. Most of these meetings are with less-actives. We have two area books in our apartment, both FULL if not overflowing with less-active families. It seems so sad to me that the CHurch has only been here about 15 years, and so many have already chosen to become inactive. The lifestyle here for the Russian people makes it hard to keep the Gospel. The culture is much like America's: I hear a lot of the same songs on the bus (marshootkye), and the same billboards with models, etc. The culture seems more wordly to me though. A LOT of people are drunk, which hasn't been a problem or anything, but it's hard to keep males active in the Church because drinking is just what men do in Russia. So, most of out visits are with girls, young, single girls. I feel for them becasue many of them want families, etc., but there are no LDS guys to date. I've had one appointment with a guy, the rest with girls. I am really strengthened though by the kindness and the faith of the active members here. You can tell they really love the Gospel, there's no half-way. The people here ALL live in Dom's. And yes Josh, they are EXACTLY as you described them. The whole city is full of these 10 story apartment buildings that all look the same. I think there might be one neighborhood with actual houses, but I haven't really seen it yet. The apartments inside aren't actually that bad. The are very small, and you can tell they are very old (early Soviet days), but the people REALLY take care of their small space. It impresses me. They decorate with a lot of rugs, like floor rugs. All over the walls, on beds, etc. I'll have to show you a picture. Also, even though I'm sure they don't have a lot of food to share, they ALWAYS offer us Chai Tea (the herbal tea) and some sort of food. Their kindness really inspires me and makes it easier to serve them. Funny/creepy story, my companion and I got in an elevator in one of the Dom's to visit an old Babooshka who is less-active. When we got in the elevator (lift), there was a nice, fresh pile of human poop in the corner. It was also smeared all over one of the walls. Yep. That's all I can say. We ended up taking the lift though anyways with our noses plugged, becasue her apartment was on the 8 or 9 floor. The orange analogy is so true. The people seem really hard on the outside, like on the streets, but when they let you into their houses, they are extremely sweet. They always hug you really tight, and even kiss you sometimes. They are really nice to me even though I have no idea what they are saying 80 percent of the time.

Cool experience. We taught a young lady named Kshoosha. They call her the "eternal investigator." She has investigated the Church since 1999 and seems a part of the Ward, but has never even accepted a Baptismal date. My companion has been here three months and has worked really hard to get her to commit to baptism, but it hasn't happened. So, we met with her Tues. and had a really spiritual meeting with her. Her issue is family, much like Victoria. My companion told her we wouldn't leave unless we had a date. So, we got a date! I don't feel like I did very much to help that along, just smiled a lot. But, it really is amazing how even though I don't know what is being taught, when I do speak, my companion says it always relate to what she was saying, and I feel like I can bring the Spirit with my simple testimony. Not much, but I feel ok with myself if I can do that much for now.

Another cool story. That same day, Tues (we had seven appointments which is really good they say) our last appointment was with a lady who had been inactive for two years, and had had nothing to do with the Church at all during that time. Anyways, we found her one night when, we didn't have an appointment and my comp wanted to go home at like 7. I know we're supposed to work until 9. So, I suggested maybe we tract or something. She said no, I'm tired. She said we could make calls from the Area Book though. I agreed and felt that was a good compromise. So, we get back home and, she puts her pj's on and says she doesn't want to make calls. So, that leaves me alone, trying to call thses people in Russian. I was determined though to work the full time, so she laid on the couch laughing at me as I struggled to speak to these people in Russia. She eventually flet bad for me though, and came over to call too. I was so happy. I was praying a lot at this time for the Lord to bless me for trying to work hard and be obedient. Then, lo and behold! The first pesron she calls is this lady, who said she wasn't doing well. She said that the last time she wasn't doing well, the missionaries called her then too. She said she didn't want us to come, but she'd let us come by becasue there had to be some meaning to the coincidence. So, when we went by, she was very hurt emotionally. She said she didn't believe in anything anymore, and when we asked her to get her scriptures, she said she had thrown them all away. She cried a lot though when we started talking about the Gospel, she even had to get up to leave the room a couple of times to get a tissue. Anyways, by the time we left, she was smiling, and we have another appointment with her this Friday. Amazing! That day Tues. was so cool. I like the feeling of being able to help people, even though I'm not really doing all that much but smiling.

So, as for some of your questions. Yes, it's cold here, but really, I don't ever feel cold. I feel hot as much as I feel cold. The heaters in the hbuildings are really good, and if I leave my winter gear on inside for like 5 minutes, I start to sweat. Plus, I bought winter boots (black leather like most people wear here), and a winter coat (I took a picture I'll send you sometime soon). So, when I'm outside I feel warm. The sad part though is that people here don't consider it winter yet haha. I hear it doesn't get "cold" until Jan or Feb. So, this weathr to them is pretty nice, even though it looks like winter to me haha. It'll be good though. I have some more layers I'll be able to add for when this happens. Oh, fyi, the people here get so decked-out. ALL of the girls were high stilleto boots for everyday wear. Yes, I covet them : ) Looking good is really important to the people even thought they don't have money. They buy flashy things and wear them over and over. The food is good. Very natural, like bread, cheese, meats (like sausages...), and fruit. Juice here is amazing becasue it is actual fruit juice. They use a lot of rich foods here though, becasue they don't eat a lot in quantity, but it really sticks to you. Like mayonnaise, sour cream, butter, etc. That scares me! But at least it tastes good and I make a lot of my own food most of the time. So, I haven't had problems with that yet.

I'm doing good! Better than last week. The full adjustment is going to take some full time. Like someone said in their letter, I keep comparing them to America and pointing out flaws. I'm trying hard to accept the differences and learn to love this new culture too. I know I will. I already have started too, but I know it'll take time. My companion is really good. She works hard. However, she has her moments, like that one night when she just gives out. We still haven't gone contacting, but I try to do little things on the bus or something as best I can. I feel love for her though. She does a lot for me that I couldn't do for myself - like talk, know the bus routes, know the people, how to use roubles, etc. I am grateful for that. I am looking forward to the day when I won't feel mute and a little helpless : ) I can relate to everyone's experiences they've shared with me. That helps so much.

The Gospel is true. It touches lives, and blesses families. Even families in Russia. I love you all and hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving Day! Think of me when you're eating Pumpkin Pie. LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!

Sister Hakes

Business: Mom do you have a recipe for Gingerbread houses? The frosting and actual cookie. A family in our ward here wants to make them. I just thought I'd ask. Also, I got your Dear Elder (Cassi's too) last week. It was so nice! I guess if you wanted to write those every now and then, they print them off in the office when people go into Yekat (a couple of times every six weeks). So, if you'd like. Also, I got your letter you must have sent me my first week or two at the MTC with letters from Grandma and Grandmpa, the Church News article about the family with 7 missionraies, and your little not saying I had received money. Anyways, I don't know why I didn't get it at the MTC, but here in Russia, but it was a nice surprise : ) Was that money supposed to be with my letter? Cus it wasn't there. Just wanting to make sure no one snatched it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment