Sunday, December 6, 2009

Letter 3 From Russia-Letter 2 was also Posted Today

Family!

How is everyone! I feel like I just talked to you, maybe because I kind of just did on Thursday. Either way, I am glad I get to talk to you so soon again! I've only had three working days since my last letter, so there's not as much to say I guess.

The highlight of my week though has been my first Zone Conference, which happened on Saturday. So good! It was so nice to see the Mission President and his wife again, along with our AP's who are both really nice. I really like my President. He's very strict, but at the same time he can tell good jokes and has a lot of insights from the scriptures. His wife is really sweet too. Anyways, they taught us about the importance of the BoM in teaching people the Gospel. They reiterated the point that either the BoM is true and the whole Church is true, or it is false and our Church has no foundation. The people we teach need to realize that because a lot of them really love the BoM, but have a hard time expecting Joseph Smith is a prophet. That doesn't make sense to me, becasue we wouldn't have the BoM without Joseph Smith, but anyways, that's why we need to remind them that the validity of our entire message hinges upon the BoM -- the keystone as you know. I really am grateful for the BoM, and have been able to read through a lot of it since I've been on my mission. To me, it is so obviously true. It answers every question of the soul: where am I going, what is the purpose of life, where did I come from. Every one we teach loves it too, but I think that if they acknowledge it is the word of God, then they feel obligated to change, and join the Church. Everyone is afraid of change, me included, because it is usually hard. However, I know that the changes the Gospel requires us to make really benefit you in the long run, even eternally. Just looking at the joy the Gospel has brought my family, and families here in Russia, makes that so apparent to me. If only everyone would accept the Goespel, then the world would be a happier place. I guess I am saying all of this becasue we taught a lady with two kids here and gave her a baptizmal date for January 23 (me second one, kind of exciting!). She has a list of concerns though still, that we need to work with her on. She is reluctant to change, like no coffee/tea, law of chastity, etc. But, my companion told her that when you meet God, do you want him to say "you were so close, but tea and coffee kept you from eternal glory." I thought that was really bold, but my comp is usually really bold when she teaches. I LIKE that a lot! I want to be like that in a loving way : ) Anyways, I guess that what got me thinking about change. I know the Gospel requires it of people, but like Joseph Smith said, "no Church that doesn't require the sacrifice of all things will never provide faith sufficient enough to ensure salvation..." or something like that. So, we should be grateful for our little sacrifices! Me inlcuded! I'm starting to have a better attitude about my sacrifices here in Russia, and I know that in time whey will seem very little in comparison to all the blessings.


I love the family tons! Sorry if you get sick of hearing that! Sounds like Thanksgiving was a lot of fun and I wish I could have played football with you. And eaten the pumpkin pie... Oh well! That will still be there in 15 months. And, I can't believe New Moon already came out. Is that bad I still care? I'm trying to leave the world behind me, but news like that always peaks my interest haha. Also want to give a shout out to all my lovely friends who have written me recently or have even cared to check the blog. I'm always so touched when someone says they checked the blog, I'm like you really do care about me! Haha.

To answer some of Mom's questions:
I have my first Visa trip to FINLAND the beginning of Feb. If all goes as planned we'll be able to do a Temple Session in Helsinki before we head back. We'll only be in Finland 7 hours, so it will be a very quick, tight trip. What else... If I stay in Chelyabinsk this next transfer, then I get to have Christmas in the mission home which would be cool. I can't remember any of your other questions Mom, sorry! I'll finish answering them next time.

Love you all again! I miss all the grandkids! And the brothers! And the sisters! And the parents! And the friends! Thanks Cody Sowards, Megan and Michael, and Bro. Connell for writing me. I really appreciated it : )

The Church is true!

Sister Hakes

No comments:

Post a Comment