Monday, January 18, 2010

Letter from Today, 1/18. Two letters posted today.

Hello again!

It's another Monday here in Chelyabinsk, Russia. Today is really warm, like I'm only wearing two pairs of tights and two layers on top besides my coat. 5F sounds about right Dad, but thanks for the heads up for Wed and Thursday... It's always nice to know before you leave for the day that it's gonna be -23F : )

I had such a good weekend! We went to Kurgan for the baptizm, and it was such an amazing day. It was a miracle day really for my companion, сестра захарова (Sister Zaharova). Kurgan was her first area, and she served there for three months with the same companion who is one of her best friends now. After she and her companion were transferred, Kurgan was shut down for sister missionaries, and they haven't seen sisters there since. So, she was really grateful to go back, it was the dream of her mission to see that town once more. Not only that, her brother from Moscow happened to be in town that day with a very very dear friend of Sister Zaharova's, Olga Landick (who actually knows Dan Heintz from BYU Cassi and Carrie). Anyways, her brother had gone inactive while Sister Z was on her mission, but he is 19 and is filling out his papers again, and he was asked to perform the baptizm. So, not only did she get to see her brother, but she got to see a very dear friend Olga (it was Olga's bday too), visit her greenie city, have a baptizm, and have her brother perform the baptizm -- all in one day! Needless to say, it was a very special day for her, and I was glad I go to see this part of her. She has a lot of love for the people of Kurgan. I too was really happy to see Ksoosha get baptized. She really should have been a member already, she is so strong! It was hard for her though to take that great leap of faith, but she knows she did the right thing. It was cool for me to be her missionary too, and now I have a picture with some one in a white jumpsuit on their baptizmal day, with me next to them. Really, I never thought I'd have that, at least not so soon. The Lord really knows who he wants to join the Church I feel like, and he knows who is prepared. Ksoosha was prepared and her decision to be baptized strengthened my faith.

And шумиление! The family I told you about, they all (including the Dad) came to Church again this Sunday. Ahh! The daughter Leza is getting baptized January 31st and is really excited. The Mom, юля (Yulia), talked to us after Church and said that she hopes that the family never goes back to being inactive. She has a strong desire to get "back in shape" spiritually, which is usually the hardest part-- the desire. She spoke up in all the lessons and really listened to everything. She is awesome. Her husband, is a little bit more skeptical. The son (he's 7, not 5 like i originally told you : ) ) could be baptized this coming June, and we set a goal with the Dad to get the Priesthood and to be prepared to baptize his son this June. He is willing to try he says, but I think he sees how much that will require of him, and I'm not sure he's totally into the idea. He's willing, and he's meeting with us right now, but he'll need a little bit of a push I feel. He is smoking right now, and that will be the biggest obstacle for him. I feel so touched by this little family.

I could probably count on one hand the number of families here that are active, complete with a Mom and Dad, sealed in the Temple, and keeping their covenants. The Church is so new here, and these people really are pioneers for their country. I admire the faith of the members, because they are so few. To answer Carries's question, Sunday's there are two branches between 20 - 30 people in attendance at each branch. Most of them are single women, and some younger families. Sometimes, I wish for the members that they could travel to Utah, or somewhere where the Church is really strong, and see how it is possible to live the Gospel, and that it does bless families... to catch the vision of the whole thing. I want them to have a good, solid example. The active members have caught that vision and are so strong, but I know they wish there were more of them. That is why there are missionaries! I remember feeling this same emotion though in New Mexico, that people need to have good examples around them to learn how to live the Gospel. I don't know what I'm trying to say, except that we all have a responsibility, wherever we are, to help build the kingdom. Russia, New Mexico, Utah, Texas, it's all the same work. I'm so grateful that my family understands this, and that I feel that we're all doing the same work, just in different places. I remember the Conference talk by Elder Uchtdorf about how we all need to lift where we stand, and he used the piano analogy-- so true. Pray for the people of Russia! They are trying here so hard and I am often reminded of the pioneers. I feel the Church is blossoming here right now, and I know the people will be blessed for their efforts. I'm glad I can be here to help in any small way I can : )

I'm doing really good, language is coming-- slowly : ), but like most things, it just takes time. I pray for you all and am so grateful for all of you, really. Oh, and is Katie pregnant too? or did I misunderstand?? Haha, only a small detail : ) Tell Katelyn McCuistion congrats for me, she's a Mom!

Love you all!

Sister Hakes

1 comment:

  1. Kalli! i just wanted to say i'm sure your the greatest missionary! I hope all is well in russia! (i just got the internet a week ago, so i've been out of all loops!)

    ReplyDelete