Monday, January 18, 2010

Letter from 1/11/10

Hi Family!

It has been two weeks since I last talked to yoU! I'm so sorry and I hope you didn't worry to much. I'm glad President got to talk to you Mom : ) Like he said, my comp was sick again, and it was the week of New Year, so all of the country of Russia shuts completely down, so I don't know if the internet cafe we use would have been open anyways.

So, I had a lot of reading to catch-up on from my emails, which really makes me happy : ) Can I just say that the grandkids are so adorable? All of them! And their parents aren't too bad either : ) Really though, Cora is so cute in her red dress Cami! And the new pics of the Hakes-Zimmerman fam were so precious! And I loved the picture Josh you sent me with Troy -- what a big, happy smile for the little guy! Thanks to all of the updates on your lives too, I feel so close to home and everyone when I read them. I wish I had more time to respond back personally every time.

Well, like I said, my comp was sick and appointments were hard to come by during the last week of holidays. So, needless to say it wasn't my favorite period of time last week, but this week has been better! Since after last Monday, things have been back to normal for the most part, which means we've been working! I have my first baptizm this Saturday for the "eternal investigator" named ксюша (Ksoosha), hooray!! I am so excited, really. She is getting baptized in her first Ward, where she investigated the Church. It's in a town called Kurgan, and we got permission from our MIssion President to go see her baptizm. So, we'll be all day there and back on Saturday, it's about a 5 hour trip by bus with al the snow, etc.

The highlight of my news for this week though happened just yesterday, Sunday. We've been teaching a less-active family named шумиление (Shoo-me-len-e) and on Friday we had a very spiritual lesson with them, my comp even cried which hasn't happened before haha. We showed them the video of the Restoration, and asked them if they had a testimony of this. They said they both did. They have a hard time coming to Church becasue of money for transport, and the two kids ( one 9 and one 5). The Spirit was so strong though, that we felt like we could be really bold with them. So, we told them that they know they need to come to Church, and they need to start tomorrow. They also need to go to the Temple and be sealed, pray as a family, have FHE, etc. They agreed! Lo and behold, the Mom, the two kids, and the Mom's less-active Mom (grandma we never even knew about) showed up at Church on Sunday and stayed all three hours. The Dad had work already, but wants to come next week. Really, I couldn't believe it. It was so cool to see them all show up! I really can't express how happy it makes you feel to know that you made a difference. Maybe it won't last, maybe they won't follow through, maybe, maybe, maybe... but to see a result despite all the maybe's really was pure joy. Also, the daughter Leza is 9 and hasn't been baptized. She is really awesome though and prays on her own alrady. She told us that she wants to be baptized too. So, hooray! We meet with them on Wednesday again, so keep this sweet, humble little family in your prayers. Teaching families in Russia is really rare, so I feel very blessed.

On a sadder note, two of our investigators with baptizmal dates aren't going to be prepared. Both confessed to us this week that they have some sins they are still committing, and they don't know if they are ready to fully change yet. One drank on New Year, and plans to drink again for her Bday in two weeks (Jenya) , and the other has a relationship with a married man (yulia) ... Yeah, that wasn't too fun. They have a desire to change though, so hopefully down the road...

I'm doing really well. My companion continually stretches (don't put that on the blog : ) )me haha in ways I never thought possible, but surprisingly amongst all of this, I feel quite calm about everything. Sometimes I marvel and think why am I not more upset, lonely, frustrated right now because things are kind of hard? I guess the reason I've been able to stay happy and positive is that I really do feel closer to the Lord. Nothing seems too scary or anything, and I really have realized how blessed my life is. I have so much. Having the Gospel alone should make me happy enough to endure any trial, let alone the amazing family and experiences I have had and am currently having. It's so true and so simple. Live the Gospel, keep the commandments, serve others, and you will be blessed. Sometimes I wish people could understand that. But like the scriptures say, you receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

Anyways, I love you all! Think of you often (but not too often don't wory : ) ) and I'll already be seeing you in close to a year! Wow! Happy Bday again Dad! Cassi I can't bleive you're pregnant haha!!! So excited for you!

Love you tons,

Sister Hakes

No comments:

Post a Comment