Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Russia=cold, crazy, and foreign; Part II

My companion has a skin problem, so she has to go to a tanning bed once a week to treat it I guess? Anyways, I determined beforehand that I WILL talk and give something to the people at the tanning salon, whoever they may be. So I did! I tried to speak in Russian, but it didn't really work, so I just handed the lady thecard and said this is for you, and then I left becasue my comp was looking at me weird. Anyways, I've realized that I just have to do things for myself sometimes and take charge. I will probably learn al ot of that on my mission. That is really hard for me to do, but I think that is what I meant to learn from all of this. She is my trainer though, so I feel like I'm tip-toeing around doing anything that would make her feel bad. She is promising me though that we will get busy with appoiontments and we will work hard together, so I'm just praying that will be the case. I really do like her, and I am optimistic this will all work out. Maybe I just need to be patient like she says another day.

Now that I have that off my chest, I can give you some idea of what life is like here. We ride busses everywhere. We rode a bus from Ekat to Chili, and it was interesting. The driver wouldn't let us on for some reason, and so my comp had to argue with him to let us on. I wanted to laugh but she says smiling doesn't help anything here. Nobody smiles at eachother on the streets or says hi. That also makes it difficul to to contact. On the ride from Ekat to Chili, we stopped at a little rest station and I got out to go to the bathroom with my comp. This was when reality hit. Up until this time, I had been mostly in the mission home and speaking english, etc. Anyways, the bathroom was like a little wooden barn that was falling apart. There was no difference for men and women. There was no lighting, but a little old lady, or babooshka, was keeping a fire in a whole in the side of the wall going. When I saw this my stomach just left me cus it smelled really bad too. Anyways, I go into the "stall" and there is nothing but a whole in the ground, abucket of water and a trash can. Yes, it was a "bucket-o-geeds" as Kimball and Mees like to call it. I laughed to myself and realized that joke wasn't so funny anymore when that is all you have to use. So, I figured out how to flush with the bucket and all was well. Haha. Good thing little things like that don't bother me too too much, though it will take some time getting used to it. I am told my apratment is nice, and I suppose it is. It's not too bad, but really, I've only just realized how plush my life was in the U.S. Everything is very basic. I live in one of those apartments or "Dom's". Josh can explain more about those. Pretty much everyone here lives in the same house/apartment. There are alot of these apratment buildings about ten stories high. They seem really small to me, especially when I visit the members and realize their whole family of maybe three kids and two parents live in these two bedroom apartments. Kind of sad, but to them it is normal. Be grateful! That's all I have to say haha : )

Anyways, I hope I don't sound like I'm whining or complaining or anything. Maybe I shouldn't be so honest. But really,I was expecting it to be this foreign and hard. I like that quote by Holland, Mom, and in fact he said that same thing when he came to talk to us at the MTC. The Savior sacrificed his life, his entire life, so all people have the opportunity to be resurrected and redeemed through the Atonement. His job was not easy. I know that finding people to teach in Russia will not be easy either becasue "salvation is not a cheap expereince." It just isn't. But would we want it to be? I know I appreciate everything a lot more now that I'm starting to recognize how blessed I really am. Being a missionary is hard, but that's ok. I know it will be rewarding down the road when I can get to know the people a little better. One of the sisters said when we were at the Mission home, that she wouldn't be on a mission if she was doing all of this for herself. It's too hard that nobody in their right mind would ever do it for just themselves. I'm glad she said that becasue it is the same with me too.

Anyways, for matters of business:
Mail is exactly as you described it Mom. You can send pouch, not pouch, or packages, but either way it will take a while to get to me. You can still DearElder, but I won't get those as well until someone from the Office comes out to my area. The best bet is email. I know I can receive emails weekly for sure. Someone from my area will probably be in the office again in six weeks for transfers, Dec. 16 to be exact (I think). So, if you do send something via post, I will get it then. What else... Oh, I should probably mention that I am doing ok. I broke down a little yesterday at Church becasue I didn't understand anyone and felt useless, but a little crying is good for me : ) It will only make me grow. Thanks for all of your emails and letters of support. It's good to know that I have two parents and four brothers that have gone through this too. I miss my MTC comps, and I tried to send this letter to them too, I hope they got it (HI!!). I see light at the end of the tunnel and I know that everything will work out. Really, I know that! No worries! Oh yeah, you asked how the Russian was. Well, I don't understand much at all, but everyone says that is normal. I am studying it like crazy though because I really want to understand it as quickly as possible. Patience is the key word right now.
Love you all so much. I'll probably look at this email in a week and will have forgotten how crazy everything seemed to me right now. Things are already getting better. The Church is true. I am in the Lords hands. And I feel your prayers of strength every day. If you have any advice on how to deal with my trainer, like how to encourage her to contact, etc. let me know. I've been praying for helkp and really do feel like I have been given guidance from the Lord already. Love you Love you Love you. Say hi to everyone for me! And, tell them I am doing well. I can't wait to read your emails next week : )

Bird


No comments:

Post a Comment